Cooking Time: 50 mins
Guest post @eyediblefood
A deliciously healthy salad!
perfect for summer lunchtimes when you just want something light but still high in protein and nutrients.
2 tins chickpeas
1 tbsp baking soda
Marinated artichoke hearts and / or marinated red bell peppers
Green and orange bell peppers
1 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp olive oil
crunchy nuts of your choice for topping (pepitas are a good choice)
Ingredients for chickpea seasoning:
½ tsp smoky paprika
½ tbsp turmeric
2 Tbsp chopped jalapenos
3 Tbsp finely chopped green olives
- Soak your chickpeas overnight for the best results, 12 hours is best. Add a Tbsp. of baking soda for best results, but it’s not essential
- After soaking & draining the chickpeas, add them to large pot with a ratio of 1:2 chickpeas to water
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer for approx. 45mins- 1 hour. Boil for 30-45 mins if you are wanting a crunchier texture. A good option is to taste test the chickpeas as you cook them so you can decide the texture you prefer
- Once the chickpeas are cooled, dress them in the seasoning outlined above
- Add marinated artichoke hearts and /or marinated red bell peppers
- Add fresh chopped green and orange bell peppers.
- Add 150g of cubed feta cheese
- Use a potato peeler lengthways over a peeled carrot to shave off carrot ribbons
- Wilt down 200g of spinach in a dry pan with a splash of lemon juice instead of oil. Add 1 Tbsp garlic powder to the spinach
- Dress with 3 Tbsp olive oil to finish off the dish, and/or alternatively a soft avocado can be used to create a soft creamy seasoning
- Toss in the juices and spices and leave for around 20 minutes to let the flavours marinate
- Top with some crunchy nuts of your choosing. Pepitas are a perfect choice
Seasoning for chickpeas:
- Squeeze lemon and orange juice into a cup before adding smoky paprika, turmeric, finely chopped olives and jalapenos.
- Mix thoroughly before adding to the chickpeas for seasoning