It's that time of year when everyone is freezing and struggling to warm up.
I don't know about you but I am currently looking to food for comfort. But I'm trying to stay healthy at the same time.
If you're in the same boat as me, this is the perfect soup for you, delicious, nutritious and warming- It's a win win.
prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Red lentils- 1 cup
2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 4 cups of water
an additional 4 cups of water
tomato paste- 1 large tbsp
paprika- 1 tsp
dried mint- 1/2 tsp
thyme- 1/2 tsp
cumin- 2 tsp
chilli flakes- 1/2 tsp
black pepper- 1/4 tsp
sea salt- 1/2- 1 tsp (depending on your taste buds)
olive oil- 2 tbsp
Paprika oil dressing
olive oil- 4 tbsp
paprika- 1 tsp
chilli flakes- 1/4 tsp
1. rinse & drain lentils thoroughly
2. Finely dice onion and carrot and then saute in olive oil in a large pan until lightly golden
3. Add tomato paste and all of the following spices: paprika, thyme, cumin, black pepper, chilli flakes & a pinch of salt.
Saute on a high heat for approx 20 seconds, continuously stirring
4. Add lentils, 4 cups of water and prepared broth (4 cups of water with 2 stock cubes)
Bring the soup to boil
5. once at boil, reduce the heat to medium, half cover the pot and cook for 20 mins, intermittently stirring until the lentils start to soften and fall apart.
6. Prepare the Paprika oil dressing.
Place olive oil, paprika and chilli flakes into a small saucepan and cook on a low heat for a few minutes. As soon as the oil starts to bubble, remove the pan.
7. Once the soup is cooked for 20 mins and the ingredients are soft, use a blender until the soup has become a delicious smooth (ish) consistency.
I use a hand held blender for this, but you can use a blender of your choice.
8. Serve up with a wedge of lemon, drizzle on some paprika oil and a side of some extra mint and chilli flakes (to season as you wish)
P.s. Make sure you squeeze the lemon on top- it gives a delicious kick
x Enjoy x